ADHD Doctors Near Me, Santa Clarita, CA, and Fresno, CA
Quality Psychiatric Health and Wellness has highly experienced ADHD practitioners who provide compassionate counseling and therapy treatment for individuals with ADHD. Make an Appointment to get started.
What is ADHD?
ADHD stands for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. It is a neurodevelopmental disorder that manifests in childhood but can extend well into adulthood. Individuals with ADHD present with symptoms of inattentiveness or hyperactivity, impulsivity, or both. These symptoms affect cognitive functioning, academic achievement, emotional, behavioral, and social functioning. It is crucial that the child gets diagnosed accurately and timely as this disorder can impair functioning and lead to poor life choices, not limited to substance use. Sometimes children do not receive a diagnosis until they are adults. And most adults with ADHD may not even be aware of it. They typically have poor job performances, unhealthy relationships, and poor coping mechanisms.
How is ADHD Diagnosed?
You need a trained mental health professional to evaluate and diagnose ADHD appropriately. Our mental healthcare professionals utilize the guidelines provided by the American Psychiatric Association in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V). According to DSM-V, there are three different subtypes of ADHD:
- ADHD, a predominately inattentive subtype, is characterized by decreased ability to focus or sustain attention and reduced cognitive processing/responding speed.
- ADHD, a predominately hyperactivity-impulsivity subtype, is characterized by the inability to remain seated or inhibit behavior.
- ADHD, a Combined subtype, is characterized by inattention and hyperactivity or impulsivity.
What are the signs and symptoms of ADHD?
Symptoms of hyperactivity and impulsivity may include:
- Excessive fidgetiness (with hands or feet)
- Difficulty remaining seated when sitting is required (at work, school, e.tc)
- Feelings of restlessness (inappropriate running around or climbing)
- Difficulty engaging in quiet activities or playing quietly
- Always “on the go.”
- Takes excessively
- Has a hard time waiting for turns
- Blurting out information or answers too quickly
- Interrupts others
Symptoms of inattention may include:
- Failure to give attention to detail, careless mistakes
- Difficulty maintaining attention in play, school, or home activities
- Seems not to listen when spoken to
- Failure to follow through on instructions, homework, chores.
- Difficulty organizing tasks, activities, and belongings
- Avoids tasks that require sustained concentration or mental effort
- Loses things
- Easily distracted
How is ADHD Treated?
Treatment modalities include:
- ADHD medications for adults and kids
- Behavioral interventions, including how to help a child with ADHD without medications
- ADHD medications combined with behavioral interventions
- Dietary interventions to help with ADHD symptoms
- Lifestyle modifications
Our caring providers will discuss your treatment option in detail and help you select what is appropriate for you and your family. We offer telepsychiatry and office visits for adult and children ADHD medication management.